WRAL SmartShopper

Get Ready To Set Goals!

Mushrooms Clients Government Funded Ops And RSS NEWS Feeds Available!

Waiting For Post From Our New  RSS Feed   Accepting Posts From The Government! Governor Wolf Announces  Financial  Assistance Avai...

Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Mushrooms Canada


Mushrooms Canada


Posted: 21 Apr 2020 09:07 AM PDT

Hi everyone! My name is Renée Kohlman and Sweetsugarbean is my food blog I've been writing for nine years. I live in beautiful Saskatoon, Saskatchewan where I happily whip up delicious creations in my little green kitchen. Being a chef as well as a food writer and recipe developer, I'm lucky to have turned my passion for all things food into a career I love. I'm especially proud of my award-winning debut cookbook All the Sweet Things which was released in the spring of 2017 and won GOLD at the Taste Canada Awards for Best Single Subject Cookbook of 2017. I'm so proud of that accomplishment! Free time (remind me what that is again) includes Netflix, reading, and spending time with my guy Dixon and four cats.

I'm always excited when Mushrooms Canada asks me to write a guest post for their blog. Mushrooms are a staple in my kitchen and it's always a thrill to put them into new recipes. With COVID-19 keeping everything on lockdown, I've been playing around in my kitchen an awful lot, and mushrooms always make their way into my shopping cart. Mushrooms are great to use year-round as they are the only vegetable that contains vitamin D. Bursting with antioxidants and other important nutrients, not to mention being low in calories, mushrooms play an important and delicious part of my culinary adventures in the kitchen.
A galette sounds fancier than it is. Really, it's just a free form tart, and it's supposed to look all rustic and charming. I swear galettes are the reason I have a disc of pastry in the freezer, so I can thaw it overnight in the fridge, then bake up something savoury and delicious the next day. I sliced up a pound of cremini mushrooms because that's what I had on hand, but any combination of 'shrooms would do. When they are browned in butter and olive oil, so much flavour has come out to play! Once the mushrooms have cooled down, they're nestled in the pastry with creamy goat cheese, thyme, and lemon. Baked until golden and gorgeous, the galette can be served as a simple appetizer or alongside a big salad as a main course. As the weather warms up (any day now!) this galette will make a light and lovely springtime meal.

Mushroom and Goat Cheese Galette

Ingredients

Pastry
  • 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cubed
  • 4-5 Tbsp ice water
  • 1 tsp vinegar
Filling
  • 2 Tbsp butter, divided
  • 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided
  • 1 lb cremini mushrooms, sliced 1/8-inch thick, divided
  • salt, pepper
  • 5 oz goat cheese, softened
  • 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves, plus some for garnish
  • zest of 1 lemon
  • 1 egg yolk, beaten

Method

  1. Place the flour and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender, or use your hands, until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Be sure to leave behind some pea-sized bits of butter. Stir in the vinegar into the ice water and gradually pour this over the flour mixture. Stir, using a wooden spoon, until the dough just comes together. Dump onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a disc. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  2. Over medium heat, melt 1 Tbsp of butter with 1 Tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet. Cook half of the mushroom slices. Season generously with salt and a pinch of pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mushrooms should release their liquid and become tender and nicely browned. Transfer the cooked mushrooms to a plate and add the remaining butter and oil to the skillet. Cook the remaining mushrooms. Transfer these to the same plate and drain off any liquid.
  3. Preheat the oven to 375F.
  4. Lightly flour the counter and roll the pastry out into a round (or thereabouts) 1/8-inch thick. Place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Crumble the goat cheese over the pastry, leaving about 3-inches of free space around the border. Sprinkle the thyme leaves and lemon zest over the goat cheese. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Lay the cooked mushrooms on top of the goat cheese. Fold the edges up and over the mushrooms. Brush the edges of the crust with the beaten egg yolk. Place the galette in the oven, on the middle rack.
  5. Bake the galette for 40 minutes, or until the crust is golden and cooked on the bottom. Let cool for 5 minutes, then cut into wedges, garnish with thyme leaves and serve. Serves 3 as a main course or 6 as a side.

Enjoy!

Be sure to follow along with Renee on her blog Sweetsugarbean, on TwitterFacebookPinterest and Instagram!
The post Guest Post: Mushroom and Goat Cheese Galette appeared first on Mushrooms Canada.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your email address:


http://feeds.feedburner.com/GovernmentFundedMushroomsOps
Has A Blog For You!
Subscribe!

Enter your email address:


http://feeds.feedburner.com/FundingSoccerBitcoinAccountsPortfoliosNearMe